The rose garden is composed of a wide variety of roses brought from the most famous gardens of Europe. Although they were totally destroyed in the Civil War, 4,000 rosales were planted in 1941. Despite her beauty, is missing a sort systematics and a clear expository character of different roses that compose it. To remedy this shortcoming, on 24 May 1956, opened a new rose in the West Park of Madrid, executed pursuant to a rigorous criterion botanical that therein the compete of roses should be held annually. Monument to Alfonso XII is is one of the most characteristic of the Park and which most impresses; It is a sculptural set located almost in the center of the Retiro Park. In 1902, a national competition was held to build a monument to King Alfonso XII, on the initiative of the Queen Mother Maria Cristina.
The winner was the architect Jose Grases Riera with a grandiose project in one of the sides of the Retiro pond, composed by a large Colonnade with large number of sculptures that encircle the equestrian statue of the King, immediate to the pond, all in bronze and marble. To his death, he was replaced in the direction by Teodoro Anasagasti, who did not introduce modifications. The monument, funded by popular subscription, was unveiled on 6 June 1922. The whole measured 30 metres tall, 86 meters long and 58 meters wide, and more than twenty sculptors participated in its elaboration. It was the first commemorative statue that during the last century were populating the gardens: works such as Benlliure, Clara and Mateo Inurria among others. The ride of the statues the Paseo of the Argentina del Retiro is popularly known as Paseo de statues because it is flanked by a series of them dedicated to the monarchs of Spain, sent to do for the decoration of the Royal Palace of Madrid during the reign of Fernando VI. In the beginning were intended to adorn the cornice of the Palace. The figures were made by various authors under the direction of the sculptors of the Court Juan Domingo Olivieri and Felipe de Castro. They came to be placed on the cornice of the Royal Palace as you can see in some engravings of the time, but to the arrival of Carlos III in Madrid the King gave order to remove them, because she considered the excessively ornate palace. For this reason, were placed in different places in the city (Plaza of) Orient, El Retiro, Jardines de Sabatini) and some were other Spanish provinces.